This is a recipe that was adapted from a WW recipe I found online. We have made it many times before with a few variations and every time it turns out delicious and satisfying. The best thing about this is that it has no cream, no butter and no puff pastry which makes it pretty light while still being yummy.
Lightened Up Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup cooking wine
- 2 cubes or packets of chicken bullion
- 5 oz fat free evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 bag frozen mixed veggies (corn, peas, carrots, green beans)
- 6 sheets phyllo dough
2. Remove chicken from broth. Shred and set aside. Save 1 cup of the broth.
3. In same pan, combine the 1 cup of broth, evaporated milk, and flour. Cook on low heat until the mixture thickens. You can add a little bit of corn starch if you have a hard time getting it to thicken up.
4. Once thickened, add the frozen veggies and chicken.
5. Continue to cook on low heat until everything is combined well.
6. Pour mixture into a greased pie dish.
7. Cover with phyllo dough to make a crust. Spray phyllo dough lightly with cooking spray.
8. Bake at 375 degrees for about 10 minutes or until top is golden brown. Depending on your oven you may have to cover the top with foil to avoid the phyllo dough from burning while you cook the pot pie through.